Construction for Metro route takes a step forward with demolition of building which housed popular McDonalds


a0d5eeac-5ed7-41dd-b531-86ddf065bdc1.jpg

In Summary

General | 5th October 2022
The Birmingham Eastside Metro extension is set to enter a new phase when works to demolish an empty city centre building gets underway.

In Detail

The Kings Parade site in Dale End, which was home to McDonalds before it closed in 2021, will be removed later in October to make way for the new route which, when complete, will allow passengers to travel from Bull Street to Digbeth High Street.

Hoarding is set to go up along the perimeter of the building on Monday (October 10) ahead of the demolition activity commencing shortly after. The complex demolition is due to be completed in spring 2023. Throughout the programme of works the site will be continually cleared in order for advance utility diversions and upgrades to take place. These essential works are expected to be finalised next year to allow track laying to begin later in 2023.

Construction for the scheme has been ongoing in Lower Bull Street since spades hit the ground in 2021, and since then the Midland Metro Alliance, which is building the scheme on behalf of Transport for West Midlands (TfWM), has made considerable progress including the development of the delta junction and street scene improvements.

Michael Anderson, Metro Programme Director at TfWM, said: “It is fantastic to see construction for the Birmingham Eastside extension progressing to this new phase. The upcoming demolition of Kings Parade will bring us one step closer to completion of this highly-anticipated scheme; not only that but the removal of the building will also pave the way for the regeneration of this area of the city centre. The Kings Parade building is well-known, but since the units have become empty we have had many questions from local businesses and residents about when it will be demolished to allow Metro progress to continue and we are delighted to be able to confirm that these works will be starting this month.”

Traffic measures already in place in Lower Bull Street will remain with motorists diverted via Carrs Lane. Buses, which were diverted in spring 2021 when activities began, will continue to serve amended routes and stops, while the current Hackney carriage bays in Dale End will still be accessible via a new location at Lower Bull Street.

This new phase in the project comes within weeks of a major milestone being celebrated following the installation of the first pieces of track on Digbeth High Street last month.

Maria Ion, Project Director, said: “We have made major strides on the scheme in recent months and the upcoming demolition of Kings Parade signals the significant construction progress that has been delivered by the team. Site clearance and preparation for track laying will follow next year after the building is removed which will bring us ever closer to connecting the route.”

The Birmingham Eastside Metro extension will run from Bull Street, in the city centre, to Digbeth, adding four new tram stops to the Metro network. More than half of the 1.7km route is planned to be free of overhead wires, similar to the extension from Grand Central to Centenary Square.